About the International Criminological Research Unit (ICRU)
The International Criminological Research Unit (ICRU) is situated within the School of Law and Social Justice. It principally comprises academics and doctoral research students from the Department of Sociology, Social Policy and Criminology and the Liverpool Law School, together with affiliated members from other University Departments/Schools. ICRU is committed to advancing theoretically-informed, empirically-rigorous and policy-relevant research in criminology and criminal justice that resonates locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
Who we are
The International Criminological Research Unit (ICRU) encompasses a team of academic researchers in criminology, criminal justice, socio-legal studies and criminal law, and includes senior internationally-recognised leaders in their respected fields, mid-career and early career researchers and a vibrant community of post-graduate research students. The full-time academic and post-graduate research members of ICRU are accompanied by affiliated academic staff members and are supported by an International Reference Group (IRG) and a National Consultative Group (NCG).
The core mission of ICRU is to:
- Develop, promote and support high-quality research and postgraduate training,
- Advance theoretical and empirical knowledge,
- Work across a wide range of academic, policy and practice communities to engage reciprocal knowledge exchange and make impactful evidence-based and social-justice oriented interventions,
- Communicate clearly and disseminate widely to extend public understanding.
Established areas of research expertise include:
- Criminal law and criminal justice,
- Critical criminology,
- Comparative criminal justice regimes and international criminology,
- Corporate crime and the crimes of the powerful,
- Gender, crime and criminal justice,
- Histories of criminal justice and historical criminology,
- Human rights,
- Juvenile/youth crime, juvenile/youth justice and youth criminology,
- Risk discourses, criminal justice and criminology,
In addition to the above, ICRU:
- Welcomes visiting researchers,
- Co-ordinates a range of events, seminars, symposia and conferences,
- Forges partnerships, exchanges and research collaborations locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.