EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account Scheme (IAA)
We are delighted to announce the launch of the EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account Scheme (IAA) to help our most pioneering scientists and engineers create successful businesses from their research, improve industrial collaboration and foster greater entrepreneurship.
The funding comes from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and is to support activities that follow on from EPSRC-funded research, delivering impact to the University, external organisations and the wider economy, such as turning research outputs into commercial propositions. External partners to IAA awards may include industry, government departments, charities, regional development agencies and not-for-profit agencies.
The current funding will be allocated to:
- Exploration Award (up to £15K) typical activities may include but are not limited to feasibility studies, building partnerships, prototype construction. PDRA travel grants to build industry links are encouraged.
- Proof of Concept Award (up to £40K) requires partner engagement. A later stage award, expected to develop into IP, a spin-out, significant partnership or similar.
- Secondment (up to £40K) requires partner engagement. Intended to develop greater interaction with external partners.
Who can apply?
- The PI can only be an academic who are or have been Principal or Co investigators (PIs/Co-Is) on EPSRC funded projects in the last five years. However, each IAA application can have Co-Is who do not fall into this category. PDRAs are strongly encouraged to apply as Co-I on IAA awards.
- The project must relate to EPSRC funded work.
- The project must be on the Faculty Register of potential REF Impact Case Studies, or have the potential to develop a REF Impact Case Study over the course of the award.
All EPSRC IAA projects from 2020-2021 grant must be completed and signed off by 31st January 2022 (no extensions will be permitted).
Currently there is a funding call open for all awards. The application deadline is midday 1st March 2021.
All enquiries regarding the IAA scheme should be directed to: Lisa Carey (nee Ahmed).
Further information regarding the awards available can be found below:
IAA Exploration Award (up to 15K)
IAA Proof of Concept Award (up to 40K)
IAA Secondment (up to 40K)
Read more about previously successful projects here.