All student and staff email accounts will be migrated to the Microsoft 365 Exchange Online service, bringing significant benefits to staff, students and the University as a whole, including:
- Better integration with Office 365 applications, such as OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams
- Improved features in mobile and web email apps
- Increased email storage space
- Enhanced security against phishing and other threats, with the introduction of Duo two-factor authentication
- Continued access to email in the case of campus network disruption
- Improved resilience via the Microsoft global infrastructure
The migration will be conducted in phases. Undergraduate students were migrated in 2021. Staff and postgraduate accounts are moving in 2022, beginning in February and extending through the summer.
The most significant change, after an account is moved to the cloud, is how email is accessed using a web browser – after an account has been migrated, instead of using the current Webmail service, you will go to office.com to access your email.
To find out more about using your email account if it has been moved to Exchange Online, visit the following related knowledge articles:
- My account has been moved to "Exchange Online" - how do I log in?
- Getting started with Exchange Online / Outlook on the Web
A parallel project to update departmental accounts is also in progress. Following the migration of accounts to the cloud, owners of departmental accounts will be contacted by IT Services to review departmental accounts.
Outlook will stay the same but instead of Webmail, use Outlook on the Web
After your account has been upgraded, to access your email via the web, you will need to log in via a different route – log in at outlook.office.com or just go to office.com and click the Outlook app icon. You will then be prompted for your username and password. Remember to enter your username in the format email@example.com.
Back to: IT Services