Veterinary Epidemiology MPhil/PhD

Major code: VEMR (MPhil), VEPR (PhD)


Epidemiology is the study of health and disease conditions in defined populations of humans and animals. Epidemiology is essential for understanding how diseases emerge and spread, and for the development of effective control methods. In IGH we study the epidemiology of a range of infectious and non-infectious diseases of people and animals, including zoonotic diseases.

Subject Overview

Epidemiological research in humans includes clinical and molecular epidemiological studies of a range of gastrointestinal, respiratory, vector-borne and sexually-transmitted infections of adults and children in the UK, Europe, Africa and Asia.

Epidemiological research in animals takes place predominantly at the Leahurst campus, where multidisciplinary staff, including clinically-qualified veterinary and medical researchers, statisticians, mathematicians and basic scientists, work together to address a range of issues. These include the epidemiology of zoonotic pathogens; the spread of antimicrobial resistance; understanding human behaviour as a driver of disease transmission; disease prevention and improving health and welfare in farmed and companion animals; and the influence of the environment and climate on the transmission of disease.

Available programmes for epidemiological research are:

  • Epidemiology
  • Epidemiology and Population Health
  • Veterinary Epidemiology 

Why choose Infection and Global Health?

We offer an outstanding teaching and learning experience undertaken within a culture of research excellence, which keeps staff at the cutting edge of knowledge and ensures student talent is nurtured and celebrated.

Subject Outline

This degree is designed for research training. You may need to supplement your knowledge in specific areas with formal coursework, but this would be ancillary to the research aspects of the degree. It does not supply clinical training. The degree of MPhil is awarded after a study period of at least one year full-time or at least two years part-time.