In collaboration with our partner, The Reader, we host volunteers to assist with our projects. Please see below for our current volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer Placements in Secondary Schools in Partnership with The Reader
The Reader are looking for enthusiastic, dedicated, and creative undergraduate students to volunteer with Get Into Reading in Secondary Schools across Liverpool, running weekly, one to one, shared reading sessions with pupils. Shared reading means that the book, short story, or poem is read aloud in the session with the facilitator / volunteer leading the reading. This isn't a literacy project (although improved literacy is often one of the outcomes) and you will not be expected to take on a teacherly role. Instead the emphasis is on reading for pleasure and the sessions are more informal and relaxed than lessons. The main aims of the project are:
- To promote the enjoyment of literature, encouraging young people to see reading as a fun, beneficial, and life enhancing activity.
- To build young people’s confidence and self-esteem through shared reading.
- To improve health and well-being through books and reading.
- To increase literacy by making reading into an enjoyable activity that is individualised for each person.
You will read with the same young person for one hour each week (about 12 sessions in total) so you will have the opportunity to build a positive professional relationship with the young person, helping you to find the right books and poems that will engage and inspire them. This is a fantastic project and a real opportunity to learn new skills whilst helping young people to develop a love of reading that they can keep for life.
Feedback from students who took part in this project last year
I have felt the experience was more than worthwhile. More things like this need to be organised! As a volunteer the change in the children was remarkable. Our last session today has been almost moving in the departing scenes! I would do it again and would recommend it to others.
How to apply
To apply for a volunteer placement, please send us a personal statement (1 side A4 max) explaining:
- why you want to do this module and this placement in particular
- what you hope to gain from the experience
- why you think you would be good at fulfilling a role of this kind