A Bullying and Harassment Adviser is someone who can provide impartial information and advice on potential bullying and harassment situations. Specifically:

What does a Bullying and Harassment advisor do?

  • Provides advice and information on the University’s Dignity at Work and Study Policy and Procedure.
  • Clarifies whether the incident is bullying and harassment, or something else.
  • If the complaint does not come under the University policy, to sign post to appropriate services.
  • Provides advice and information on how to seek an informal resolution to your complaint.
  • Provides advice and information of how to make a formal complaint about bullying and harassment.
  • Sign posts you to appropriate services which may be able to provide you with support and guidance e.g. Student Welfare or Trade Union.

 What a Bullying and Harassment Advisor does not do?

  • Take responsibility for resolving your complaint
  • Investgate your complaint
  • Make a complaint of your behalf
  • Speak to the alledged perpetrator, your line manager/department head on your behalf, or act as an advocate in any way
  • Attend meetings about your complaint, whether informal or formal, or act as a advocate, champion or representative in any way
  • Provide counselling, mediation, and any other form of intevention
  • Promise confidentiality at all times. In certain circumstances an advisor will be required to share this information with either Student Welfare or Human Resources
  • Make any judgement of the legality of any action or behaviour.
  • Be able to explain the likely outcome of any investigation or how the outcome decision has been made.

When contacting an advisor may not be appropriate

A Bullying & Harassment Advisor is a first point of call for staff/students who are concerned about bullying situations. If you have already instigated a complaint or grievance which is being activelly investigated, then an advisor will likely be unable to provide any additional support. Similarly if you are disatisfied with the outcome of a formal (stage 2) investigation then you should consider using the relevant appeals processes. However, if a situation has arisen that is new then this could be an appropriate situation with which to contact an advisor. If in doubt contact equality@liv.ac.uk