I research the cultural and social history of British nuclear mobilisation. British Nuclear Culture (Bloomsbury, 2016), offered a new interpretation of the British nuclear century by tracing the tensions between 'official' and 'unofficial' narratives. I am currently working on a number of edited collections, and a case study on proposed Uranium mining on Orkney in the 1970s. Longer term projects include an exploration of life in 1980s nuclear Britain.
As well as extending my analysis of nuclear Britain in the years to come, I am General Editor of an innovative Open Access e-textbook project, Using Primary Sources (LUP, 2017), funded by JISC. This is a collaborative effort between nearly thirty historians, University of Liverpool Library colleagues, and Liverpool University Press.
I currently supervise two AHRC-funded PhD students. Emily Gibbs is working on the history of emotions in relation to nuclear Britain, and Harry Roberts is working on nuclear identities in rural Britain. Both Emily and Harry are producing oral histories as part of their projects. For more information on Emily's project, please look here: http://www.nwcdtp.ac.uk/current-students/student-profiles/emily-gibbs/
- Spoke as part of 'Cold War Urbanism' panel at ICHG conference, July 2015 (Invitation to Speak, UoM (Martin Dodge) 2015)
- 'Transnational nuclear perspectives', symposium organiser, ICHSTM 2013 (Invitation to Speak, University of Manchester 2013)
- 'Recognising Teaching Excellence', 11th Learning and Teaching Conference, University of Liverpool (Invitation to Speak, University of Liverpool 2013)
- Atelier PhD workshop, University of Manchester (Invitation to Speak, University of Manchester 2012)
- Invited speaker at CHSTM, University of Manchester, October 2011. (Invitation to Speak, University of Manchester 2011)
- Invited speaker, University of Sheffield (Invitation to Speak, University of Sheffield 2011)
- Associate Dean for Education (HLC) 2018-
- Learning Environment (HLC) 2016-17
- Academic Lead for AWP (HLC) 2013-14
- History Lead for AWP 2010-13