Vacancies at the Centre for Genomic Research
The Centre is seeking to recruit for the following position:
You will form part of a multi-disciplinary team, comprising academics, postdoctoral fellows and technical staff that is focused on delivering high-quality data and analyses to collaborating scientists and you will assist the Laboratory Manager in ensuring the smooth running of the CGR. You will be involved in the initial QC steps, preparing sequencing libraries for a diverse range of experiments including genome (re-)sequencing and transcriptome sequencing. You will also work with a number of different high-throughput sequencing platforms.
You must be diligent and have the knowledge and experience to, design experiments and to optimise and troubleshoot complicated laboratory processes. The ability to plan your own workload and keep accurate scientific records is important along with the ability to work as part of a team and also independently once appropriate guidance has been provided.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To liaise with and discuss sample preparation, experimental design and progress with collaborating groups and other members of the CGR team.
- To receive samples and perform initial sample QC steps, feeding back to submitters as appropriate.
- To prepare sequencing libraries, including qPCR-based pooling of samples and sequencing library amplification/enrichment, capturing relevant information through online workflow tracking tools (e.g. VOCAL, GoogleDocs, GeneSifter LIMS).
- To familiarise him/herself with robotics used during the library preparation and enrichment workflows.
- To optimise next-generation sequencing-related protocols and laboratory workflows and troubleshoot,where necessary.
- To advise and assist the other Research Assistants and Technicians in the CGR.
- To perform other duties when requested by the Sequence Production Manager.
- To report on progress and workload commitments to the Sequence Production Manager, and the wider CGR Management team
Closing date: 11 September 2019
For full details and to apply online, visit Working at Liverpool