The main function of the Friends of the University of Liverpool is to allocate grants from the funds at its disposal, ie from subscriptions and bequests.
By the time of the Friends' 30th anniversary in 2014 it was calculated that grants to the value of over £1 million had been made.
Examples of grants awarded include:
- £3,000 to the School of Engineering, Heavy Lift & Electric Lift Aircraft Teams, to fund radio controlled model flying tuition, tools, spare engines, competition costs etc.
- £3,740 to the Victoria Gallery & Museum, on behalf of the Art & Heritage Collections, to purchase and install specialist display equipment.
- £20,000 to the School of Dentistry to purchase museum cabinetry.
- £3,860 for the Liverpool Guild of Students Radio for new equipment.
- £3,000 to the Standing Committee of Convocation to print and publish a history of Convocation.
- £25,000 to the Liverpool Guild of Students for equipment for the Performing Arts Societies to eliminate hire charges etc.
- £5,500 to Sport Liverpool to the Windsurfing Club.
- £2,000 to Sport Liverpool for the purchase of Handball goals.