Sustainability in the School
Our environmental blueprint
We want our School to be a showcase for sustainability, by achieving our goals with the smallest possible environmental footprint.
In 2011 we adopted a comprehensive sustainability policy. Developed by staff and students, it's been enthusiastically embraced by everyone in the School.
The School of Environmental Sciences is committed to continually improving its environmental performance. We are aiming not only to be the leading environmental research institution in the UK, but also one that leads by example in how we do our business.
Much of the research and teaching performed within SoES is concerned with environmental and resource challenges and all of it is related to the environment that we, as humans, live in. As an institute, we have a better understanding of these issues than most in the University and indeed, many in the world. As a School, we see ourselves therefore well-placed to lead by example in using our expertise to develop, promote, and adopt sound sustainable practice wherever possible. We have achieved some outstanding awards over the past few years as highlighted below.
- Earth Ocean & Ecological Sciences - Gold Plus - 2014 (best in university)
- Herdman & Geomagnetism - Gold - 2011/2012
- Nicholson - Gold - 2011/2012
- Gordon Stephenson - Silver - 2011/2012
- Herdman - Silver - 2010/2011
- Nicholson - Silver - 2010/2011
- Gordon Stephenson - Bronze - 2010/2011
- School of Environmental Sciences - Best Energy Saving Idea - 2010/2011