On Your First Day
You MUST arrive at the English Language Centre by 9.15 on the first day of your course as you will need to register and complete a short test before you attend class.
Please note that if you do not arrive on time on your first day, you may not be able to register that day and may be asked to return the following Monday.
If you arrive on the first day of a teaching block (click here to see the dates of the teaching blocks), you should go to the venue mentioned in the joining email you will have received, where you will be welcomed by ELC staff.
If you arrive on a different Monday, then you should go to English Language Centre Reception, which is located on the ground floor of 1-7 Abercromby Square (Building number 503 on the campus map), where you will be welcomed by our reception staff. You should arrive at the Reception by 9.15am.
You should bring the following documents with you on your first day:
- Your offer letter
- Your passport
- Your financial guarantee (if you are a sponsored student)
You will not go into class immediately on your first day. During the first morning you will complete the registration process. This includes a number of steps:
- We will check your documents to make sure that you are joining the correct course and your visa is correct. We will take a copy of your passport and financial guarantee for our records.
- We will help you to complete the University registration process so that your student number becomes active and you can begin to use the University facilities.
- If you are studying for a full block and you uploaded a photograph at least a week before arriving, we will give you your student card.
- If you are not studying for a full block, we will help you to order a student card if you want one.
- You will have a one-to-one meeting with a tutor on your own, so that we can get to know you a little and assess your level of spoken English.
- You will also be asked to take a short placement test, including reading, grammar, vocabulary and writing.
- You will meet our Social and Welfare Officer and she will explain what we do to try to help you to settle in to life in Liverpool and also give you some important information about legal matters, health services, banking, University support services and the English Language Centre social programme.
- You will receive your timetable and your course books.
At 2pm you will be able to join your first class and begin your learning journey!