Dr Au is currently Chair of Uncertainty, Reliability and Risk appointed jointly under the Centre for Engineering Dynamics and the Institute for Risk and Uncertainty. He obtained BEng (1995) and MPhil (1997) from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and PhD (2001) from the California Institute of Technology, all in civil engineering. Before joining the University of Liverpool he has held academic positions at the Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) and the City University of Hong Kong. He has also been a visiting professor at the Tokyo City University and is currently Chutian Chair Professor (visiting) at the State Key Laboratory of Water Resources and Hydropower Engineering of Wuhan University. He is a chartered civil engineer in Hong Kong.
Dr Au performs fundamental and applied research in engineering reliability analysis and structural health monitoring. He has developed an advanced Monte Carlo method called Subset Simulation that has found applications in risk assessment, uncertainty propagation and rare event simulation in many disciplines, e.g., earthquake, geotechnical, aerospace, fire, electrical, meteorological and nuclear engineering. The work led to the monograph "Engineering Risk Assessment with Subset Simulation" (Wiley). Dr Au is experienced in full-scale dynamic testing of structures and has consulted on structural vibration projects on long-span pedestrian bridges, large-span floors, super-tall buildings and microtremors for seismic microzonation. Recent research in this area focuses on fundamental theory, computational algorithm and practical implementation of Bayesian approach for modal identification and structural system identification of full-scale structures. The work led to the monograph "Operational Modal Analysis: Modelling, Bayesian Inference, Uncertainty Laws" (Springer). Dr Au is a recipient of the IASSAR Junior Research Prize (2005), Nishino Prize (2011), JSPS fellowship (2014) and Tan Chin Tuan Fellowship (2015). He chaired the ASCE Dynamics Committee (2014-17); is Associate Editor of Structural Health Monitoring (Sage) and Journal of Risk & Uncertainty Analysis in Engineering (ASCE-ASME); and is Editorial Board Member of Earthquake Spectra (EERI).
- Tan Chin Tuan Fellowship (Nanyang Technological University 2015)
- JSPS Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science 2014)
- ASCE Certificate of Appreciation (American Society for Civil Engineers 2014)
- Keynote lecture on 'Bayesian modal identification: theory and practice' (Keynote Speech, Asian-Pacific Symposium on Structural Reliability and its Applications 2012)
- Nishino Prize (East Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction 2011)
- Keynote lecture on 'Uncertainty propagation in complex engineering systems' (Keynote Speech, Asia-Pacific Symposium on Reliability and Structural Safety 2008)
- IASSAR Junior Research Award (International Association of Structural Safety and Reliability (IASSAR) 2005)
- Young Researcher Fellowship Award (Competitive Fellowship, MIT Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics 2003)
- Chair, Staff-Student Liaison Committee