Jelena Milisavljevic Syed is a Lecturer in Industrial Design at the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom (UK).
Dr. Milisavljevic Syed`s design experience spans mechanical, control, and industrial engineering. Her teaching experience spans courses in engineering and industrial design (product development), and quality control (quality of welded structures). Her current research focus is on learning how to define a new frontier in Industry 4.0 through adaptable and concurrent design, managing design freedom, and knowledge-exchange in the design of complex systems and product-service systems. She is committed to working with industry to transform design education. It is in this context that she likes to marry both theory and practice, and she wishes to experiment with ways in which design can be learned and taught. Her research interests include (robust) complex system design, product development, the adaptive and concurrent design of the mechanical and control systems, reconfiguration and inter-operability of engineered systems, advanced manufacturing (additive manufacturing), and application of mechanical engineering in sport and sport’s medicine.
Dr. Milisavljevic Syed earned a PhD in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Dynamic Management of Networked Engineered (Manufacturing) Systems from the University of Oklahoma (USA), a second MS in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Uncertainty Management in Realization of Complex Manufacturing Systems from the University of Oklahoma (USA), a first MS in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Elastohydrodinamics Lubrication in Machines from the University of Nis (Serbia), and a diploma of Mechanical Technician for Computer Aided Design (CAD) from the College of Mechanical Engineering.
Dr. Milisavljevic Syed worked as a Graduate Research Assistant at Systems Realization Laboratory (SRL) at the University of Oklahoma from August 2013 till November 2018. She worked as a Graduate Research Assistant, and Teaching Associate in the Department of Mechanical Construction, Research and Engineering at the University of Nis, Mechanical Engineering Faculty from September 2008 till May 2012. Dr. Milisavljevic Syed worked as a Laboratory Assistant in the Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, at the University of Nis, Mechanical Engineering Faculty from 2004 till 2007.
Dr. Milisavljevic Syed accomplishments include more than 20 publications in journals, and conferences, participated at seven international and national industrial/academic projects wherein AY 2010 she was a project manager, more than 10 international awards for superior academic achievements, and in AY 2006 she was granted a patent in product development. She has mentored and supervised more than 6 students on MS, BS, and other research and development projects.
Dr. Milisavljevic Syed is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), and the Graduate Women International (GWI).
Prizes or Honours
- 2019_20 Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Award (Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Liverpool, 2020)
- Dissertation Excellence Award (Gallogly College of Engineering (GCoE), the University of Oklahoma, USA, 2018)
- ASME DED (ASME, 2018)
- The ISA Educational Foundation Scholarship 2017 (ISA-International Society of Automation, 2017)
- The Chevron Texaco and John E. Francis Scholarship (University of Oklahoma, School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, 2017)
- The John E. Francis Scholarship (University of Oklahoma, School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, 2016)
- The Conoco Philips Scholarship (University of Oklahoma, School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, 2015)
- Scholarship for Superior Academic Achievement and Involvement of Young Researchers, and Participation in Scientific Research Projects (Ministry of Education and Science, Serbia, 2012)
- Scholarship for Superior Academic Achievement and Involvement of Young Researchers, and Participation in Scientific Research Projects (Ministry of Education and Science, Serbia, 2009)
- Scholarship for Superior Academic Achievement and Commitment to Future Success (Institute for International Education, Serbia, 2008)
- Scholarship for Superior Academic Achievement (Ministry of Education, Serbia, 2005)
Other Personal Distinctions
- Certificate for the best seminar by a graduate student (University of Oklahoma, School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Graduate Student Community, 2014)
- Third Annual International Course in the field of Ventilation Efficiency and Indoor Climate Quality (DAAD Project in the Framework of Stability Pact of Southeast Europe, 2011)
- The Seventh International Course for Young Researchers in the field of Computational Engineering (DAAD Project in the Framework of Stability Pact of Southeast Europe, 2011)