Systems Realization Laboratory @ UoL
Competency and Research Focus
Industry 4.0 – Cyber-physical Systems for Production Engineering
Digitize design and manufacturing systems and processes, aimed at advancing their vertical and horizontal integration as digital threads and series of digital twins, into decentralized ecosystems across the entire product development value chain. This process includes the provision of new data-driven operation and business models, advances in cybersecurity, and the development of a bespoke Industry 4.0 workforce.
- Cloud-Based Design and Manufacturing
- Digital/Smart Manufacturing
- Internet of Things in Production Engineering
- Data Science and AI in Design and Manufacturing
- Cybersecurity for Industry 4.0
- Cyber-Physical Supply Chain Networks and Logistics
- New Business Models for Industry 4.0
Health 4.0 - Design of Smart Healthcare Systems of the Future
Driven by networked Electronic Health Record systems, Artificial Intelligence, real-time data from wearable devices with an overlay of invisible user interfaces and improved analytics, a revolution is afoot in the healthcare industry. Over the next few years, it is likely to fundamentally change how healthcare is delivered and how the outcomes are measured. The focus on collaboration, coherence, and convergence will make healthcare more predictive and personalised. This revolution is called Health 4.0.
Data portability allows patients and their physicians to access it anytime anywhere and enhanced analytics allows for differential diagnosis and medical responses that can be predictive, timely, and innovative. Health 4.0 allows the value of data more consistently and effectively. It can pinpoint areas of improvement and enable decisions that are more informed. What it also does is help move the entire healthcare industry from a system that is reactive and focused on fee-for-service to a system that is value-based, which measures outcomes and ensures proactive prevention.
- Digitization in the Healthcare Sector
- Design of Smart Wearables for Healthcare Applications
- Internet of Things (IoT) and Data-driven Services in Healthcare
- Horizontally Integrated Healthcare Infrastructure and Systems
- New Business Models for Digital/Smart Healthcare Solutions
Creativity & Innovation
Leveraging understanding about the fundamentals of creativity and applying this within computational tools that augment and enhance innate human creativity, ultimately leading to innovation.
- Design Creativity – Investigating fundamental theories, methods, and approaches of creativity in design research.
- Computational Creativity – Exploring the use of the latest computational techniques, such as AI, machine learning, and natural language processing, to support designers in creative design activities.
- Design Neuro-cognition – Studying design creativity by employing EEG (Electroencephalography ), fMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging), and fNRIS (Functional Near-infrared Spectroscopy).