History of Anatomy in Liverpool
The early tuition and teaching of anatomy in Liverpool took place at the Royal Institution, Colquitt Street in 1820, and was run by Dr Richard Formby, and Dr William Gill. The school was run under terms of Apothecaries Act of 1815 and proved popular and as such Formby advanced quickly to be appointed in a professorship in Anatomy in 1822. The Royal Institution School of Medicine developed and grew beyond it facilities, leading to the foundation of the Liverpool Medical School at the Royal infirmary in the 1830’s. This developed into the Liverpool Infirmary School of Medicine where anatomy was a key component of the programme, and eventually evolved into The University of Liverpool in 1903.
The Human Anatomy Research Centre (HARC) was established in 1996, as a facility dedicated to anatomy teaching at the University of Liverpool, and underwent a complete refurbishment in 2000 to accommodate a large increase in the number of students studying in this field. The University of Liverpool degree in Anatomy and Human Biology was ranked the number one Anatomy degree in the UK in 2020.