Recent Earthquake "Teachable Moments"
As part of the "Teachable Moments" scheme run by the British Geophysical Association, following a significant earthquake we put together PowerPoint slides summarising important facts about the event and showing early seismograms. These slides are downloadable and may be used by science teachers for educational purposes.
- Two Tsunamigenic earthquakes occured, in Japan and Nicuargua
Two extensional earthquakes occured in Japan (Mw 6.9) and Nicuagua (Mw 7.0), both causing Tsunamis.
- Magnitude 7.8 earthquake, New Zealand
A magnitude 7.8 Mw earthquake occurred at the North end of Alpine fault, New Zealand
- Magnitude 6.1 and 6.6 earthquake, Central Italy
A magnitude 6.1 and 6.6 Mw earthquake occurred at shallow depth in the Appenine region of Central Italy
- Magnitude 6.2 earthquake, Central Italy
A magnitude 6.2 Mw earthquake occurred at shallow depth in the Appenine region of Central Italy
- Magnitude 7.8 earthquake, Offshore Ecuador
A magnitude 7.8 Mw earthquake occurred at ~24 km depth to the west of Ecuador
- Magnitude 7.0 earthquake, Southwest Japan
A magnitude 7.0 Mw earthquake occurred at ~10 km depth in Southwest Japan
- Magnitude 7.8 earthquake, Southwest of Sumatra
A magnitude 7.8 Mw earthquake occurred at ~24 km depth Southwest of Sumatra, in the Indian Ocean
- Magnitude 6.3 earthquake, North of Morocco
A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck in Alboran Sea, North of Morocco
- Magnitude 5.1 earthquake, North Korea
A magnitude 5.1 event struck in North Korea
- Magnitude 7.5 earthquake, Northern Afganistan
A magnitude 7.5 Mw earthquake occurred at 220 km depth beneath Northern Afghanistan, in the Western Himalayas
- Magnitude 8.3 earthquake, Illapel, Central Chile
A magnitude 8.3 Mw earthquake occurred on the interface beteen the South American and Nazca tectonic plates
- Magnitude 4.2 earthquake, Ramsgate, Kent, UK
A magnitude 4.2 earthquake occurred in southeastern England. This earthquake had a shallow depth of 15km
- Magnitude 7.3 earthquake, Nepal
A magnitude 7.3 earthquake occurred in Nepal. This earthquake was an aftershock of the M7.8 event in April 2015
- Magnitude 7.8 earthquake, Nepal
A magnitude 7.8 earthquake occurred in Nepal. The earthquake had a shallow depth of 15 km
- Magnitude 3.8 earthquake, Oakham, UK
A magnitude 3.8 earthquake occurred in the Oakham region of Rutland, U.K. The earthquake had a shallow depth of 8 km
- Magnitude 2.9 earthquake, Winchester, UK
A magnitude 2.9 earthquake occurred in the Winchester region of Hampshire, U.K. The earthquake had a shallow depth of 3 km
- Magnitude 7.9 earthquake, Aleutian Islands
A magnitude 7.9 earthquake occurred in the Aleutian Islands region of Alaska, U.S. The earthquake had an intermediate depth of 108 km
- Magnitude 6.9 earthquake, Greece
A magnitude 6.9 earthquake occurred in South-Eastern Greece, in the north of the Aegean Sea. The earthquake had a s...
- Magnitude 3.2 and 3.5 earthquakes, Oakham, Rutland, UK
A magnitude 3.2 earthquake occurred near Oakham in the county of Rutland, UK. This was followed 24 hours later by a...
- Magnitude 7.6 and 7.4 earthquakes, Solomon Islands
A magnitude 7.6 earthquake occurred off the coast of the Solomon Islands. This was followed by a Magnitude 7+ after...
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake, Northern Chile
A magnitude 8.2 earthquake occurred in Northern Chile. The earthquake caused severe damage in the area around the t...
- Magnitude 4.1 earthquake, Bristol Channel, UK
A magnitude 4.1 earthquake occurred in the Bristol Channel. The earthquake was felt most strongly in North Devon an...
- Magnitude 6.1 earthquakes, Greece
Two magnitude 6.1 earthquakes struck Greece within 8 days of each other. The earthquake signficant damage due to sh...
- Magnitude 7.1, Japan
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake occurred at 20 km depth off the east coast of Japan. The earthquake caused a small (40cm...
- Magnitude 7.1, Philippines
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake occurred at 20 km depth beneath Bohol Island, Philippines.
- Magnitude 7.8, Pakistan
A magnitude 7.8 earthquake occurred at 20 km depth beneath south-central Pakistan.
- Magnitude 2.7 Glenlyon, Perth/Kinross, UK
A magnitude 2.7 earthquake occurred at 2 km depth beneath central Scotland.
- Magnitude 3.3 Irish Sea, UK
A magnitude 3.3 earthquake occurred at 5 km depth beneath the Irish Sea.
- Magnitude 3.8 Lleyn Peninsula, Wales, UK
A magnitude 3.8 earthquake occurred at 8 km depth beneath the coast of North Wales. Moderate shaking was felt in th...
- Magnitude 2.9 Archarachle, Scottish Highlands, UK
A magnitude 2.9 earthquake occurred at a depth of 12km close to the village of Glenuig. The earthquake was preceded...
- Magnitude 2.8 Gairloch, Scottish Highlands, UK
A magnitude 2.8 earthquake occurred at a depth of 7km in the far northwestern Scottish Highlands. Slight shaking wa...
- Magnitude 7.2 Kuril'sk
A magnitude 7.2 earthquake occurred at 250km beneath the Kuril islands in the northwestern Pacific. The earthquake ...