Electron Microscopy Laboratory – EBSD-SEM
Our state of the art EBSD-SEM Laboratory offers cutting edge technology and expertise in electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD) and energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS) in the scanning electron microscope (SEM). EBSD and EDS are applied to numerous different disciplines at the forefront of research. We work with samples at scales from sub-micron to centimeter size. The laboratory comprises a Philips XL30 tungsten filament SEM and a CamScan X500 CrystalProbe field emission gun (FEG) SEM.
Philips XL30 tungsten filament SEM
- Electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD) for the determination of full crystallographic orientations. EBSD and EDS can be performed simultaneously.
- Exact Silicon drift detector (solid state) for qualitative and semi-quantitative EDS;
- Secondary and Backscatter Electron Imaging (SEI and BEI);
- Cathodoluminescence (CL);
Fig. 1 Philips XL30 tungsten filament SEM
CamScan X500 CrystalProbe field emission gun (FEG) SEM
- F+ Nordlys EBSD detector combined with the AZtec Oxford Instrument acquisition system for high resolution, high speed EBSD analyses (600 points/sec). With EBSD we can determine the full crystallographic orientation of rocks, metals and ceramics;
- X-Max 50 mm silicon drift detector for fast EDS analyses;
- EBSD and EDS can be acquired simultaneously at speeds of 400 points/sec.
- Hot stage for heating experiments up to 1100°C, with simultaneous in-situ imaging and EBSD-EDS;
- The tilted column geometry with horizontal stage allows us to perform EBSD-EDS on large specimens (10 x 10 cm);
- Hot deformation stage (prototype), with simultaneous in-situ imaging and EBSD-EDS;
- A new stage for EBSD-EDS mapping of cylindrical surfaces (prototype), can be used with experimental and small core samples.
Fig. 2 CamScan X500 CrystalProbe FEG SEM
- Carbon coater for thin and thick carbon layer deposition;
- Gold/palladium coater for multiple samples;
- Fine grain-size mechanical and chemical polishing equipment for final stage polishing;
Elisabetta Mariani: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 0151 794 5180;
Elliot Wood: Elliot.Wood@liverpool.ac.uk, tel. 0151 795 7807