My research involves developing, validating and utilising a diverse range of biologically relevant laboratory models of biofilm environments to develop treatments and inform patient care. Currently investigating biophotonics applications; diagnostics, imaging and photodynamic therapy.
I started working with biological water filters during my PhD. This involved biofilm, fluid flow and in vitro modelling. I then applied these skills on evaluating the effects of electric toothbrushes in a laboratory model. I have since remained in the field of oral microbiology where I developed novel techniques to; describe the spatial distribution of cell vitality in oral biofilm, assess the effects of antimicrobial agents in real time, simultaneously instigate lethal photosensitisation of biofilm whilst recording changes in cell vitality, developed a biologically relevant laboratory model of dental caries, worked with photodynamic therapy using phage conjugates and intrinsic porphyrins in black pigmented anaerobes. Since in post at Liverpool I have worked with laboratory models of caries and endodontic irrigation and taken biophotonics forwards into dental research and other fields.
- Invited guest speaker: SCTIMST (Invitation to Speak, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram, India 2014)
- Invited guest speaker: University of Brighton (Invitation to Speak, University of Brighton, School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences 2014)
- Invited speaker: Oral Microbiology and Immunology Group: Scientific Meeting (Invitation to Speak, Gregynog Hall, Newtown, Wales 2014)
- Invited guest speaker: University of Glasgow (Invitation to Speak, University of Glasgow, School of Dentistry 2013)
- Innovation Award: Winner. Best Innovation in Patient Engagement in the Dental and Oral Health (Medical Futures 2011)
- Bionow Annual Awards: Runner-up. (Bionow 2011)
- In Vitro Applications of QLF Technologies in Microbial Research (Keynote Speech, ICQ Organising Committee 2010)
- Cell vitality in oral biofilm (Invitation to Speak, Pre-ORCA (Caries Research) symposium 2008)
- Commendation: Medical Futures Innovation Awards (Medical Futures 2008)
- School Biological Safety Officer
- Committee on Safety, Biological Hazards Sub-committee
- Undergraduate Research and Electives Committee member
- Oral Sciences and Medicine (OSM) Course, Deputy Director
- School Information Services Committee, Member 2007 - 2008