The global coronavirus pandemic means that how we interact with those around us is vitally important for maintaining our combined health. We all have a role to play within our institutions and in the wider community to minimise transmission of the virus and to build strong and respectful communities which demonstrate respect for the health and wellbeing of everyone living and working in this great city.
The Universities/ HEIs of Liverpool are all asking our students to sign up to this community pledge, demonstrating our shared commitment to respectful and responsible citizenship. Each institution will provide their own students with an appendix listing their own contact details and related policies/information.
We ask all our students to commit to the following pledge:
- I will follow the Government and my institution’s guidance related to reducing and managing the spread of Covid-19. I understand that this is likely to change so I will take personal responsibility for ensuring I am up to date with the latest information. If I begin to suffer with Covid-19 symptoms I will report these promptly using the processes within my Institution and follow guidance to self-isolate and get a test. I accept the role that I have to play in making sure that the areas where we live, work, and study are as safe as they can be.
- I will show empathy, respect and due consideration to others – my friends and peers, my colleagues, my neighbours, and all of those who help me achieve my goals while I am a student in Liverpool. I note that this pledge sits alongside my Institution’s policies and that I have a duty to assist in establishing an environment in which harassment, bullying, and victimisation are regarded as unacceptable. I acknowledge that I may not know other people’s personal circumstances and that it’s therefore vital that I remain attentive, follow the appropriate guidance, and respond positively to the concerns of others.
- I understand the importance of providing friendship, helping people avoid loneliness and isolation, and supporting others. I will look out for my friends and those I live, learn or work with. If I have a concern about someone, I will raise this with an appropriate person (tutor, line manager, hall staff, etc.) so that help and support can be offered.
- I will be inclusive and supportive of those around me. If I see others behaving inappropriately and contrary to guidance, I will raise my concerns directly with those people in an open, constructive, and polite manner. Where I feel unable to safely challenge, I will use the method outlined at the bottom of this pledge to raise the concern with staff within the Institution. I understand that not everyone is able to follow all protective behaviours e.g. wearing a face mask and I will not blame or stigmatise individuals or groups of people.
- If I am challenged about my behaviour I will respond in an open, positive, and respectful manner – listening carefully to understand the concern, and changing my behaviour to remove it. I understand and accept that wilfully and repeatedly breaching my institution’s guidance is an act of misconduct and could lead to me being subject to disciplinary processes. If I see situations that are contrary to guidance, I will remove myself from those situations as soon as possible.
- I know that this is a constantly changing situation – one which requires everyone’s ongoing attention and vigilance. I commit to continuing to learn about the issues arising from this global pandemic and to do all that I can to ensure that everyone in our community has the best experience they can.
If you have a concern about the behaviour of others but feel unable to raise this with them directly, please contact your institution in accordance with the guidance in the attached information. We will provide you with support and take the necessary steps to positively resolve the concern.
Back to: Coronavirus (COVID-19) safety