University of Liverpool Students and Continuing Education

Enrolling on a Course

There are a limited number of free places on most Continuing Education courses reserved for students. However, there are a few things you need to know before applying for one of them:

  • There are no free places on courses in Modern Languages
  • There is an administrative fee of £15 for each booking
  • There is no additional charge to students who wish to study for credit
  • Free places only become available once a course has reached financial viability
  • This means that any application for a free place may be held back until they are released - and this could be right up to a week before the course starts. So, if you want to be sure of getting a place, you should consider enrolling as a fee paying student
  • University of Liverpool students are entitled to a reduced fee (the middle band)
  • If you want to go on the list for a free place please complete the UG form 201920 and email it to ‌
  • If you want to be guaranteed a place – the easiest route is to apply online though the online store. You will need your student number and a credit /debit card to do this
    Studying for Credit

You can opt to take credit at no extra charge (applies only to students who have a free place)
Any credit gained will automatically appear on your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) and academic transcript
CE credit cannot be counted towards your degree studies
UoL Student Attendance on CE Courses and the HEAR

Students who attend CE courses on a not for credit basis and who want the attendance to be recorded on the HEAR, must attend a minimum of 70% of the total course hours
Students are responsible for obtaining verification of attendance. You should:

  • Download the appropriate Student Verification Letter from the CE website ‌
  • At the end of the course, get the letter signed by the course lecturer (who will check the register to verify the required number of hours)
  • Submit this to the CE office within 2 weeks of the last course meeting
  • CE will record the attendance on the student’s record in Spider
  • Course attendance will then appear in your e-portfolio from which you have the option to add it section 6.2 of the HEAR
  • Students who submit work for assessment, but who do not meet the required standard, may still have their attendance recorded using the above procedure. 

Thinking of Studying a Language?

If you are a full-time University of Liverpool student and are considering taking a language course alongside your main degree studies there are a few things to think about when deciding between a CE and an Open Languages course.
In terms of level of attainment, opportunities for progression and approaches to teaching there are a number of similarities between the two programmes. The courses in both pathways are worth the same number of credits (15) and they are assessed in similar ways.
However, there are a few differences between the two that you should be aware of in deciding which language pathway to choose.

  • CE courses cannot be studied as part of your degree, but in addition to it.
  • You should opt for a CE language course if you would prefer to study at a slower place pace; CE courses run over 20 weeks (2 semesters) as opposed to 11 for Open Language courses (all in 1 one semester).
  • Because of the length and pace, CE courses have a little more emphasis on cultural topics and conversational practice. Some CE courses (stages 2+ and Advanced Languages) focus on current affairs and use of the language. They are most suited to students who want to keep up and practice their existing language skills.
  • Timing is another difference between the 2 sets of courses – most CE language courses take place in the evening from 6-8pm (although a few are daytime). You will need to be able to make a regular commitment to the same time and day of the week over 2 semesters.
  • If you choose a CE course you will find yourself in a class made up not only of full-time students but members of the public and, possibly, members of university staff.