Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to see the answer.

What are credits?

Many of the courses in the CE programme are credit-bearing. Credit is a formal, quantified recognition of learning achievement. Credit is awarded at specific levels and currently all CE courses are at FHEQ level 4 which is equivalent to the 1st year of an undergraduate degree. The number of credits measures the volume of learning. 120 credits normally equates to 1 year of University study. The credit value of a course is included in each CE course description. Please note that credit values are subject to approval by the relevant university committees.

If your course is credit-bearing you can choose to complete a formal assessment and gain credits
Gaining credit records a level of achievement for your own personal satisfaction and can be used as evidence of personal development in a work situation. Assessment of learning often means that you gain

Does it cost extra to study for credit?

A small charge will be made when you register for credit. This is £10 for a 5 credit course and £15 for courses of 10 credits or more. Please note that all language courses are credit bearing and the course fee is inclusive of this. 

How do I register for credit?

You can register for credit on the course enrolment form. Alternatively, if you decide to study for credit once the course has started you can complete an accreditation payment form and return it to the CE Office with the appropriate fee. Your lecturer will advise the latest date by which this should be done, but this would normally be about midway through the course. The cut-off point may be earlier than this for some language courses.

Can CE credits be counted towards a qualification?

Certificates of Award & transcripts The credits gained could be useful to you in different ways. You could study for credit as a prelude to further study, for example on an undergraduate degree programme. You could also use it to show an employer that you are capable of, and have successfully undertaken, university-level work. If you successfully pass a credit-bearing module, you will receive a certificate and a University Transcript to confirm this. The option to register for a two CE Awards - Certificate in Higher Education or Personal and Professional Development Certificate - is now closed, but the option to complete credits needed for the award is still available to students who had already registered. CE. Please be aware that from 2021-2 these qualifications will be fully withdrawn. If you wish to work towards completion of a Certificate in Higher Education or a Personal and Professional Development Certificate for which you have already registered, you must complete all the required credits by July 31st 2021. Some individual CE Courses will continue to be credit-bearing and you will continue to be able to opt for credit and submit work for assessment. If you successfully pass a credit bearing module, you will receive a University Transcript to confirm this.

Please be aware that from 2021-22 CE qualifications will be withdrawn. Courses will continue to be credit-bearing and you will be able to opt for credit and submit work for assessment. However, if you wish to work towards a Certificate in Higher Education or a Personal and Professional Development Certificate you must complete all the required credits by July 31st 2021. Please contact CE’s Accreditation Officer for further information or to discuss your particular circumstances.

Although CE will no longer offer awards, CE credit is valid and quality approved evidence of learning and can be presented as such when applying for further study. Credits can sometimes be transferred between institutions although this is not an automatic process and is ultimately a matter for the receiving institution to decide.

Are there any restrictions on which courses I can take? 

If you wish to count your credit towards a university award (until July 2021 only) you need to be aware that you cannot accumulate credit by repeating the same course. The course code number – for example, ALGY 997 - identifies each discrete accredited course for which there are defined learning outcomes.

If you wish to count your credit towards a subject-specific award (such as the Certificate in Higher Education (Archaeology), you are expected to accumulate credit by taking a minimum of 90 credits in in that subject area.


How will I be assessed?

Assessment can take many forms and will be appropriate to the subject and course that you are studying. It can include, for example, the completion of classroom activity, the preparation of a portfolio of materials and/or a written assignment. For language courses the assessment process covers reading, writing, speaking, listening and grammar. (See…. for detailed guidance on studying a language for credit)

Your course lecturer will provide information about the assessment process.


What is plagiarism?

Plagiarism includes a failure to reference sources, close paraphrasing without acknowledgement and, in the most serious cases, copying or downloading another’s work verbatim and presenting it as your own. Collusion occurs when there is unauthorised and unacknowledged collaboration. Penalties for Plagiarism and collusion vary but could result in serious mark reduction or a mark of 0%. To avoid plagiarism take good care to reference your work well and completely. Your lecturer will provide guidance, or read the University’s Guide to Referencing and developing a Bibliography at

How do I submit work for assessment?

We encourage all students to type and submit written work electronically. Hand written assignments must be legible. In all cases, students must keep a copy of their work. Penalties can be applied for the late submission of work but if you have difficulty in meeting a deadline talk to your lecturer in confidence. We realise that Continuing Education students have many calls on their time and can (for the most part) consider sympathetically individuals with mitigating circumstances and requests for extensions.

What happens to the work I submit for assessment?

In line with University policy, your work is marked by the course lecturer, and a sample of work is often second marked by a qualified 2nd marker. Following this, all marks are approved by the appropriate University Board of Studies. Once marks are approved, your work will be returned to you with feedback and a formal mark.

What does my mark mean?

Although the way your work is assessed will vary according to subject, the marking criteria applied will always be in accordance with University standards:

  • 70 to 100: Work which provides evidence of good critical analysis and/or an original contribution with a command of data or literature which is either broad or intense.
  • 60-69: Work which is thorough, clear and shows evidence of understanding of context and the efficient and competent use of data or literature.
  • 50-59: Work in which the treatment of data or literature is basically sound but underdeveloped.
  • 40-49: Work that shows some understanding but which offers a basic treatment using a limited range of data and methodologies and arguments which contain some flaws.
  • 35-39: Work that fails by a small margin to achieve the standards required for a pass.
  • Under 35: Work that is unstructured, ill-presented, contains serious omissions/errors and which fails to demonstrate adequate knowledge, understanding or sustained argument.

Can I appeal against a mark?

If you have concerns about your assignment or marking procedure, in the first instance speak to your course lecturer. If the issue is not resolved at this stage, your lecturer will send your concern on to the academic organiser who will respond according to University guidelines.

Can I transfer to a different course if I am studying for credit?

Very occasionally students find they need to transfer to a different course. This happens most frequently in languages when the chosen study level is not the most appropriate for a student’s prior knowledge. You need to be aware that course transfers should take place within the first 3 weeks of a course. This is essential in language courses to allow for the ongoing assessment of coursework.

Does the University offer study skills support?

As a registered student of the University you can access KnowHow, using your University of Liverpool login details, through the home page of the students’ Digital University at
KnowHow offers both web based resources and information about support events. It is for any University of Liverpool student who wants to develop their academic literacy and learning skills and assumes no prior knowledge.