Credit & Awards banner

Studying for Credit with Continuing Education 

What are credits? 

Many of the courses in the CE programme are credit-bearing. Credit is a formal, quantified recognition of learning achievement. Credit is awarded at specific levels and currently all CE courses are at FHEQ level 4 which is equivalent to the 1st year of an undergraduate degree.  The number of credits measures the volume of learning. 120 credits normally equates to 1 year of University study. The credit value of a course is included in each CE course description. Please note that credit values are subject to approval by the relevant university committees. If your course is credit-bearing you can choose to complete a formal assessment and gain credits. Gaining credit records a level of achievement for your own personal satisfaction and can be used as evidence of personal development in a work situation.  Assessment of learning often means that you gain more from the course. 

Does it cost extra to study for credit? 

A small charge will be made when you register for credit. This is £10 for a 5 credit course and £15 for courses of 10 credits or more. 

How do I Register for Credit? 

You can register for credit on the course enrolment form. Alternatively, if you decide to study for credit once the course has started you can complete an Accredited Payment Form and return it to the CE Office with the appropriate fee. Your lecturer will advise the latest date by which this should be done, but this would normally be about midway through the course. The cut-off point may be earlier than this for some language courses. 

Can CE Credits be Counted Towards a Qualification? 

A Certificate in Higher Education and Personal and Professional Development Certificate are currently available to students studying for credit. Students must formally register for both awards by completing a registration form and paying a fee of £30. Further detailed information is available from the CE Office. 

We currently offer two awards. 

The Certificate in Higher Education (Cert HE)

This award requires 120 credits and should be completed within a six year period and before the cut-off date of July 2021.  (Registration for this award must be completed before the 10 February 2020).

The Personal and Professional Award (PPDC)

This award is gained through successful completion of 60 credits.  (Registration for this award must be completed before 10 February 2020. Also, please be aware that only 20 credits from the previous year of registration can be carried into this award).

If you are interested in applying for a formal award, please read the following Fact Sheet PPDC. This will help you make an informed decision before you proceed. However, if you feel you would like to discuss further please contact our Accreditation officer.  

Please be aware that from 2021-22 CE qualifications will be withdrawn. Courses will continue to be credit-bearing and you will be able to opt for credit and submit work for assessment. However, if you wish to work towards a Certificate in Higher Education or a Personal and Professional Development Certificate you must complete all the required credits by July 31st 2021. Please contact CE’s Accreditation Officer for further information or to discuss your particular circumstances. 

Although CE will no longer offer awards, CE credit is valid and quality approved  evidence of learning and can be presented as such when applying for further study. Credits can sometimes be transferred between institutions although this is not an automatic process and is ultimately a matter for the receiving institution to decide.

Are there any restrictions on which courses I can take? 

If you wish to count your credit towards a university award (until July 2021 only) you need to be aware that you cannot accumulate credit by repeating the same course. The course code number – for example, ALGY 997 - identifies each discrete accredited course for which there are defined learning outcomes. If you wish to count your credit towards a subject-specific award (such as the Certificate in Higher Education (Archaeology), you are expected to accumulate credit by taking a minimum of 90 credits in in that subject area. 

How will I be assessed? 

Assessment can take many forms and will be appropriate to the subject and course that you are studying. It can include, for example, the completion of classroom activity, the preparation of a portfolio of materials and/or a written assignment.  For language courses the assessment process covers reading, writing, speaking, listening and grammar.  (See….  for detailed guidance on studying a language for credit). Your course lecturer will provide information about the assessment process. 

What is plagiarism? 

Plagiarism includes a failure to reference sources, close paraphrasing without acknowledgement and, in the most serious cases, copying or downloading another’s work verbatim and presenting it as your own. Collusion occurs when there is unauthorised and unacknowledged collaboration. Penalties for Plagiarism and collusion vary but could result in serious mark reduction or a mark of 0%. To avoid plagiarism take good care to reference your work well and completely. Your lecturer will provide guidance, or read the University’s Guide to Referencing and developing a Bibliography 

How do I submit work for assessment?

We encourage all students to type and submit written work electronically. Hand written assignments must be legible. In all cases, students must keep a copy of their work. Penalties can be applied for the late submission of work but if you have difficulty in meeting a deadline talk to your lecturer in confidence. We realise that Continuing Education students have many calls on their time and can (for the most part) consider sympathetically individuals with mitigating circumstances and requests for extensions.

For more detailed information, follow the left hand link to read the Frequently Asked Questions