Computer Science MPhil/PhD
Major code: CSPR/CSMR
The Department of Computer Science has strong links with industry informing its teaching, collaborating on research projects, developing and exploiting technology transfer and providing guidance via its industrial liaison committee. The University Careers Service is open to all postgraduates to help advise them on career paths and careers development forms part of the University Postgraduate Research Development Programme.
Our PhD graduates have progressed to a variety of careers in countries throughout the world. Many graduates find positions in leading Universities in the UK and internationally, as research fellows, lecturers, and professors. Our alumni are conducting research into diverse areas such as:
- multi-agent agent communications languages, protocols and simulation;
- reasoning for logics in computer science;
- the security and trust of systems;
- computational logic, knowledge representation, and logic in artificial intelligence;
- a computational approach to healthcare;
- complexity and algorithms;
- data mining applied to metal manufacture;
- computational models of argument;
- trustworthy and reliable autonomous systems;
- computational complexity and the expressiveness of logics in computer science;
- artificial intelligence, including general game playing, epistemic logic and model checking.
Our PhD graduates also go on to careers in other sectors, for example, in the computing and IT industry; banking; consultancy and education.
Here are some of the fields in which our MPhil graduates are now working:-
- Network systems and data communications analysis
- Computer software engineering (both applications and systems software)
- Network and computer systems administration
- Database administration.