As an interdisciplinarian with degrees in both the arts and sciences, my research and scholarship interests focus on the nexus between the humanities and social sciences, in particular on professional practice and corporate governance within the creative and social economies; media production cultures particularly in the community, non-profit and activism contexts; sustainable HE/industry partnerships, the student experience and social mobility.
I have published in a range of academic journals including European Journal of Communication, International Journal of Management and Applied Research, and International Journal of Digital Television; in popular media such as The Conversation; and with policy and practitioner-focused networks such as Power to Change and the Heseltine Institute for Policy, Practice and Place.
My research and scholarship has been discussed at various academic and industry conferences and events, including International Communications Association, Chartered Association of Business Schools, Association of Cultural Economics, the UK Ethnography Symposium and a range of local television industry conferences and launch events.
My first book, “Social Media for Voluntary Organisations”, is to be published in 2023 by the voluntary sector publisher, the Directory of Social Change.
I am keen to hear from prospective doctoral candidates interested in projects exploring:
• Professional practice, corporate governance and sustainability within the creative and social economies
• Media production cultures particularly in the community, non-profit and activism contexts
• Digital activism and representations of charities, non-profits and social movements
• Social and viral media especially online video-sharing networks
• HE/industry partnerships, the student experience and social mobility
Research Group Membership
- Media, Politics and Society
Community hubs: what works and why? Learning from the experience of the Safe Regeneration community hub
POWER TO CHANGE TRUST (UK)
October 2018 - July 2025