Centre for Innovation in Education - Mission, vision, remit
To support staff to enhance the student experience and raise levels of student engagement through relevant educational innovation and experimentation in the context of institutional strategy.
By 2021 we shall be recognised as thought leaders and valued as a central institutional source of expertise in: teaching, learning and learner support; assessment; curriculum development and design; and educational technology.
In furtherance of institutional strategy,
- To support and encourage individuals and teams within academic and professional service units to innovate and experiment in: teaching, learner support and assessment; the use of educational technology;
- To support faculties and schools to develop, review and revise curricula and programmes which will be attractive in the University’s priority markets and an asset within a planned portfolio;
- To provide pedagogical leadership in the diversification of the design and delivery of the portfolio, including online, blended, work-based, campus-based, part-time provision;
- To disseminate educational developments and lessons from effective educational practice elsewhere (e.g., via open and bespoke workshops and online resources) and lessons from UoL practice externally (e.g., via networking, conferences);
- With due regard to sector practice, and on the basis of appropriate horizon scanning, experimentation and evaluation, to provide pedagogical leadership and support in the design, development and implementation of institutional policy, strategy and systems in support of student education and engagement;
(jointly with the Academy/Centre for Higher Education Studies)
- To contribute to the planning and delivery of staff development programmes and recognition schemes in academic practice, including the use of educational technology;
- To support communities of practice of HE educators within academic and professional service units to share knowledge and experience;
- To conduct (and build capacity for) pedagogic research and evaluation as relevant to HE, including educational technology.