Tuba Kocaturk is a Reader in Digital Architecture. She studied and practiced Architecture in Turkey. She holds a PhD degree in Architecture and Building Technology, from TUDelft (Netherlands) where she also worked as a member of the Hyperbody Research Group, and delivered master level studios with a special focus on computational design and digital fabrication. She has collaborated with ARUP Amsterdam, ONL Architects (Rotterdam) and Bollinger & Grohmann for the development of a multi-disciplinary Design Decision support tool which had been implemented as a pedagogical tool in collaborative design studio teaching at TUDelft. She worked as a visiting research fellow at Harvard Graduate School of Design and Centre for Design Informatics in Cambridge (USA).
Her research mainly centres upon the creative, generative and collaborative use of digital technologies in architectural and urban design. She has taught, conducted research, and published extensively in the areas of Digital Architecture, IT impact on Design learning, Collaborative Knowledge Modelling, and Emerging socio-technical systems in Architectural Industry and Digital Design Pedagogy. She has delivered guest lectures and workshops at various institutions including Turin Polytechnic, MIT School of Architecture, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Prague Technical University, Kassel University, and European Institute of Design in Venice. She is the co-editor of the books: "Virtual Prototyping in Design, Construction and Procurement" (2008, Wiley), and "Distributed Intelligence in Design" (2011, Wiley).
Tuba is the Director of Postgraduate Research of the School of the Arts, and is currently leading the MSc Digital Integrated Design course in the School of Architecture.
- Invited Speaker, "Smart Buildings and urban Innovation", European Institute of Design, Venice (Invitation to Speak, Venice 2014)
- Invited Speaker: (Invitation to Speak, Venice Architectural Biennale 2014)
- "Best presentation award" at the 31st eCAADe Conference on Computation and Performance (sponsored by Bentley Systems 2013)
- Keynote Speech:"Distributed Intelligence in Design" at Computational Design Symposium (Keynote Speech, Izmir Yasar University, Turkey 2012)
- Keynote Speech: (Keynote Speech, BIM Event, Czech BIM Council, University of Prague, Czech Republic 2012)
- Invited Chair at the “Building Fluency, Platforms for BIM Innovation” Symposium, Gehry Technologies (Invitation to Perform, Gehry Technologies 2009)
- Invited Speaker at ARUP Advanced Geometry Unit:"Modelling Collaborative Knowledge in Design" (Invitation to Speak, ARUP, London 2008)
- Invited Speaker, at “Collaborative Human Futures - A New Design Paradigm” International Workshop (Invitation to Speak, Hong Kong 2007)
- Invited Speaker, at Kassel University, Lecture on Digital Design and production (Invitation to Speak, Kassel University, Germany 2006)
- Harvard Graduate School of Design, Lecture on “A Collaborative Teaching in Design Education" (Invitation to Speak, Harvard Graduate School of Design 2004)
- Invited Speaker, MIT School of Architecture, Design Computation Lecture Series (Invitation to Speak, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2004)
- Visiting Research Fellow, at Centre for Design Informatics (Competitive Fellowship, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Cambridge, USA 2003)
- Postgraduate Research (PGR) Lead in the School of the Arts
- PGR Steering Committee Member of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Programme Director of the MSc Digital Integrated Design masters programme.